Student Success – Minutes December 11, 2014
STUDENT SUCCESS COMMITTEE MINUTES
Thursday, December 11, 2014
2:10 pm – 3:30 pm
Fernando Lara, Candace Duron, Stacie Rancano, Nancy Artiga, Laura Riss, Juana Escobedo, Vicki Jacobi, and Jill Brown
Approval of Minutes
- Minutes for the 11/13/14 meeting were approved.
Innovation Grant Opportunity (Jill Brown)
- Jill discussed a one-time grant opportunity for the District.
- The money can be spent on innovative projects with no restrictions.
- The deadline is January 9, 2015.
- Jill stated she would be working with CSUB and BC in submitting the application for this award.
- Jill asked for ideas and projects to be emailed to her to include in her write-up such as mentor program, supplies such as IPad, etc.
- Jill stated she will review the requirements, reporting, and tracking of this grant in more detail and forward the information to the committee for their review also.
- Jill stated she needed information on innovative projects done in the past such as with STEM, CTE, TUHS, SI, internships, and ADT to include in her report. (Past-Present-Future)
- Darcy reviewed several committee goals developed for the SSC for Spring 2015.
- There were concerns expressed that there were too many goals at once and maybe we should focus on 1 or 2 at a time.
- Researching and gathering data was a big concern.
- Incomplete and/or inaccurate data and not being able to rely on the data to make decisions was also a concern.
- Understanding the data and who will provide the data was a concern.
- It was recommended to divide in smaller working groups with a lead person and charge to address a specific goal or changes that need to be made based on data or feedback.
- Each group could analyze the data, create a plan or idea, and summarize their findings and recommendations for the committee to review.
- It was suggested to focus on goals #1 and #2:
- Coordinate the development of the SSSP plan with the Student Equity Plan.
- Develop a research agenda and review initial data/research (understand and establish a foundation)
- Goal #5 “Establish data teams/workgroups to investigate the data” could easily follow after goal #1 and #2 were achieved.