Student Success – Minutes February 12, 2015
STUDENT SUCCESS COMMITTEE MINUTES
Thursday, February 12, 2015
2:10 pm – 3:30 pm
Fernando Lara, Velda Pena, Candace Duron, Juana Escobedo, Stacie Rancano, Nancy Artiga, Karen Ziegler, Laura L’Ecuyer, Lourdes Gonzalez, Jill Brown, Paul Blake, and Adam Hightower
Guests: Mark Williams
Approval of Minutes
- Minutes for the 12/11/14 meeting were approved.
- Due to new members being presented, Darcy reviewed some committee goals developed for the SSC for Spring 2015.
Strategic Action Plan
- Darcy reviewed the District’s Strategic Action Plan (SAP), mainly Objectives 1.1 through 2.1.
- Darcy stated the SSC needs to focus on aligning these objectives with their committee goals.
Training (Mark Williams, VP of Instruction)
- Mark distributed a handout regarding his proposal for an all-day training event being planned by him and the Access Committee.
- The event is planned for Friday, March 20th and the first half will be an all-campus presentation by Manual Pastor regarding demographic data, explaining trends and outliers and how to train ourselves to become skilled in the use of demographic data.
- The second half of the day will continue with Manual Pastor working with the Access and Student Success Committees to review their plans and goals.
- The Student Success Committee needs to focus on how to adopt new practices to improve student success.
- We need to evaluate what currently works and what doesn’t.
- We need to figure out what we are trying to solve and how to move forward to address this area.
- Darcy is planning on using the Completion by Design model to accomplish these tasks and goals.
- We need to utilize available data such as the scorecards and demographics to analyze where we stand regarding student success.
- Darcy also asked the members to examine what has been done in their department or program for students that succeed and to bring back that feedback to the committee.
- The Governance Council will be having their annual retreat on February 27, 2015. Brad Phillips will be the guest speaker and discuss the importance of data and how to use it.
- There is limited space for this event, so Darcy asked those that are interested to please let her know.
- Darcy stated she would email a vocabulary document out to the SSC members.
- The next meeting will be Thursday, March 12, 2015.