The purpose of the Distance Learning and Education Committee is to develop policy recommendations and promote practices that contribute to the quality and growth of distance education (DE) at Taft College.
- Create DE policies/procedures;
- Develop DE course evaluation process/criteria;
- Evaluation of DE resources;
- Stay current on state/federal regulations;
- Assist in Program Review;
- Determine Best Practices;
- Determine Professional Development needs;
- Promote the inclusion of accessibility practices within online coursework;
- Monitor statewide committees and initiatives related to DE;
- Distribute information and make recommendations on current initiatives related to DE; and
- Review submitted Distance Learning Approval Forms (addendum to course outline of record) and make recommendation to the Curriculum Committee if course is appropriate for DE.
In adherence to Standard II-A of the ACCJC Guide to Evaluating Distance Education and Correspondence Education (2013)*, this Committee is an advisory committee made up of faculty and staff personnel who have expertise with distance education.
- Director, Distance Education – co-chair (non-voting)
- Faculty – co-chair
- Distance Learning Coordinator
- DSPS faculty member
- Minimum of 3 faculty members
- Senior Research Assistant
- Vice President of Instruction (non-voting)
- Student Representative appointed by ASO
MEMBERSHIP AND MEETING POLICIES:
- Quorum is a simple majority of active, assigned members.
- The Committee shall follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
- The Committee shall follow the Brown Act.
- It is the responsibility of each member of the Distance Learning and Education Committee to attend each meeting and adhere to the College Code of Conduct.
MEETING SCHEDULING, AGENDAS, AND MINUTES:
The Committee shall meet at least once a month to accomplish its goals and responsibilities. The Committee will determine the day and time of the monthly meeting. Agendas and minutes will be recorded.
RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER COMMITTEES:
The Distance Learning and Education Committee is a subcommittee of the Academic Senate. The Distance Learning and Education Committee may also make recommendations to other committees regarding distance education related issues as needed.
The Distance Learning and Education Committee shall:
- Review/evaluate their performance at the end of each academic year.
- Review/evaluate the Committee Charter at the beginning of each academic year.
*See pages 10 and 22 of the ACCJC Guide to Evaluating Distance Education and Correspondence Education (2013).
DL&E review: 11/18/19 Senate approved: 11/02/2020