Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Steering Committee
As a standing committee of the Academic Senate, the role of the Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) and Assessment Steering Committee (SLOASC) is to act as the central body for articulating polices on SLOs, and targeting SLO assessment activities intended to increase student performance competencies as a result of Taft College’s courses, programs, and degrees, and provides support and resources for assessment activities. Specific tasks of the committee include the following:
- Publish the most current SLOs in a location that is visible and accessible to students, the public, staff, and all faculty (including adjunct faculty).
- Promote knowledge and expertise in assessment of SLOs at Taft College.
- Identify and target existing assessment of SLOs at Taft College in key programs in advance of Program Review.
- Using the current accreditation standards, identify areas to improve the college’s progress in student learning outcomes and take action to move the college forward in using assessment data for decision making.
- Act as representatives of faculty in the area of SLOs at Taft College.
- Protect academic freedom of faculty in the creation of SLOs and assessments of SLOs.
- Ensure faculty involvement in developing SLO processes, which are mutually agreed upon between the Taft College Board of Trustees and the Taft College Academic Senate.
- Establish and facilitate assessment practices that are meaningful and will improve SLO assessments.
- Facilitate, promote, and integrate assessment practices that are not only meaningful, but easy for faculty to participate in.
- Facilitate follow-up activities for improvement based on completed SLO assessments.
- Identify and help provide appropriate resources for assessment activities.
- Give input to the Strategic Planning Committee, the Curriculum and General Education Committee, and Academic Senate on the role of SLOs.
The SLOASC meet for one hour, once a month, during the fall and spring semesters. Some of these meetings will occur with divisions, based on their schedule and availability.
Structure of the Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Steering Committee
- The SLOASC is chaired by the SLO Coordinator.
- The SLOASC follows the college model of approval by consensus.
- The Chair is responsible for reviewing minutes, processing requests, and building agendas and briefs in advance of monthly.
- The SLOASC Secretary is responsible for recording minutes and entering changes to documents.
The committee as a whole will draft policies, guide college-wide action, and identify and provide resources as appropriate to the culture of Taft College and accreditation standards.
- SLO Coordinator
- A Division Chair, Co-chair, or designee to represent each division on campus (to represent division interests)
- A faculty representative from the area of Student Services
- A representative from the Academic Senate (may be one of above)*
- A representative from the office of Institutional Research (to feed assessment data to Program Review)
- A student representative (If Available)
- Vice President of Instruction or designee
At least one member from the above should be thoroughly familiar with the existing processes of the Curriculum and General Education Committee. At least one member from the above should be familiar with the existing processes of the Governance Council as they relate to SLOs and Program Review.
*All appointed faculty members are representatives of the Academic Senate.